Skip to content

Domestic abuse

If you feel in immediate danger, please call the police on 999. If you can’t speak, call 999 followed by 55 when the operator answers (or tap or cough into the phone) this will alert the operator and the police to respond.

Please note: if you’re worried about someone knowing you have visited this web page, please read the following safety information on how to cover your tracks. You can also use the ‘leave this page’ button at the top of the page to instantly leave this website.​

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is an incident or pattern of incidents of abusing and controlling behaviour. It’s often caused by a partner or ex-partner but can also be a family member or carer. It’s very common.

Domestic abuse can include controlling and coercive behaviour, psychological and emotional, financial abuse, violent or threatening behaviour, sexual abuse and rape, threats, harassment and stalking, and online or digital abuse.

You’re being abused if you feel you must alter your behaviour because you’re frightened of how someone will react or treat you.

Domestic abuse can affect anyone – men, women and those who identify as non-binary and it can occur in any relationship – heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, young or old.

Support is available

You can find help and support from the National Domestic Violence 24-hour Helpline, Women’s Aid, and Refuge on this helpline number 0808 2000 247.

You can also download the Bright Sky app onto your mobile device. Bright Sky allows you to record incidents of domestic abuse and has details of support agencies that can help you.

SafeSpaces online is an untraceable, online safe space for people experiencing domestic abuse where you can find useful links, support services and information.

To access SafeSpaces, click here. You can exit the area at any time using the ‘ESC’ (Escape) button on your keyboard or using the ‘Escape X’ in the top right-hand corner of the page. 

You can find more information in the useful links section at the top of this page.

If you have concerns that another Soho Housing Association resident is suffering domestic abuse, you can let your Housing Officer know. If you feel something is happening right now and someone is in immediate danger, please call the police on 999.

Skip to content