Skip to content


Information and guidance about maintaining your home.

3. What should I do if I have damp or mould in my property?

If you have damp or mould in your property, please contact your Housing Officer to inform them. We may ask you to provide pictures of the affected areas for our team to review. These can be sent via email or text. 

If appropriate we will arrange to visit your property and inspect the problem. We will assess the affected areas and carry out any necessary repairs quickly. These might include repairing a leak or overhauling extractor fans within the property. Our contractors will attend to carry out a mould wash to the affected areas. 

Why does damp and mould occur?

There are lots of things that can cause damp and mould to occur in your home. these include but are not limited to: 

  • Too much moisture in the air
  • Plumbing issues
  • Ventilation faults
  • Complex issue such as an external leak

How can I prevent damp and mould in my home?

Remove excess moisture

There are certain steps that you can take as a resident to prevent condensation, which is a contributing factor to mould growth. You can wipe condensation or water droplets from surfaces such as walls, tiles, shower screens and windows.

You should also try to keep kitchen and bathroom doors closed when cooking or bathing to prevent moisture from spreading. 

Drying clothes on radiators increases the moisture in the air so instead try to use a clothes airer in a well ventilated room. 

Increase ventilation

Increasing ventilation in your home can also help to prevent damp and mould. You should make sure that you open trickle vents in your windows, open windows whilst cooking, and don’t keep furniture blocking windows or pushed right up against the external walls. 

Maintain ideal temperatures

Very cold rooms can provide ideal growing conditions for mould and so it is recommended that you don’t let the temperature in your home fall below 14 degrees.

Support available for residents

If you are struggling with the cost of  heating your home and would like to find out about what support might be available please contact your Housing Officer.

Skip to content